Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Hello and Merry Christmas to you all!

I hope you had a great Christmas and have a happy new year and a lovely holiday wherever you may be. So I just got back from our Christmas holidays to BC. I brought along my room mate, Jenny, who is from Scotland to spend the holiday with me and my family. She had never seen any part of Canada besides Winnipeg before, so it was pretty exciting for her. We spent the week on the slopes snowboarding/skiing, spending time at the hot springs and just as a family enjoying time together. It was a great holiday and so nice to see my family again.

Before the break we spent some time on a few other topics. One was "The Nature and character of God", and the speaker was Tanya Lyons from Vancouver, BC. She, as well as our last speaker Randy, are the directors of the YWAM base in Vancouver. She talked about God's nature, and how He is uncreated, triune, all powerful, all knowing, personal and relational. She also talked about His character -- what He does with that nature, like He; creates, loves, has no favourites, shows mercy, is wise, is truthful, is holy, is just, etc. We watched a clip from the movie Ella Enchanted. If you have seen it, you will know that Ella is under a spell of obedience and must obey all orders given to her. We compared that to us and God, and found that He is not like that at all. That clip illustrated to us the principles of God - how he made us and what He wants for us. He made us so that we could make choices. God gives us freedom and choices and He trusts us. I'll leave you with this thought: If God just showed himself to us with all his power, we would have no choice but to believe - so He hides himself a little.

The next week was Staff Teaching Week! That is where the staff teach us :D That week we did a lot of team building activities and personality tests. I found that I am an ENFP. For those of you who know what I'm talking about that will say a lot, but for those of you who have no idea what that is I encourage you to check out the Myers Briggs temperament test, and see what your results are. Anyway, we discovered who our introverts and extroverts are in our group. We are actually 50/50 in that area, so that was kind of cool. We split into those groups and confronted each other on the struggles extroverts and introverts will face. It was good to get that out in the open and hear what the other side had to say.
We also did a small project this during this week. Part of it was that we went to the north end and then back to the west end, and bought coffee for homeless people and gave out bags with treats in them. We spent a morning and afternoon walking around, spending time with people on the streets. It was really neat. The other part of our project was that we surprised the staff with a nice mean and evening dedicated to them and all that they do for our school. We had a nice little banquet with lovely bannoffee pie and chocolate cake for dessert. Here's a photo of us all after the evening.
For one of our team building activities, I was the leader. No one but me could talk or see, but I was the only one that could not move. With direct orders, I had to get the whole team to put a tent up (while they were wearing blindfolds). Did i mention we had a time limit of 15 minutes? Seems pretty difficult, eh? Well it was. It was very frustrating as a leader because the task seemed almost impossible. But, I never gave up. Finally when the time limit arrived, and the tent was still laying flat, Kim gave the team the choice of finishing the task or quitting then. The team decided to quit, and I felt like they had given up on me. This activity really gave me a different perspective of how it will be for the leaders on outreach. It was a very good week for our team.

The last week before Christmas holidays was on Relationships, and our speaker was Kara Thompson. We talked about why it's normal for christians to have sexual struggles, and some recovery principles. We went over some foundational values that we should have when going into a relationship/marraige. We also talked about some principles for the choice. Such as a shared faith in God, common values and a common calling, character and romance. Kara talked a lot about marraige and that we cannot expect the kind of relationships that we see in the movies. She showed us that love can come in the form of a triangle, and at each point there will be 3 different things. One being commitment, another being passion and the last being intimacy. When going into a marraige, these three things should be equal. Now, I'm not saying they will always be that way, but these three things are what build up a strong, healthy relationship.

So here I am back at the beginning; Christmas break! I've had a great month, and now I am preparing for the new year, and the trip to Thailand. I have $700 left to raise for my trip, and I would like to ask one more time for your help to reach this goal. Thank you again to everyone who has made this possible.

Have a happy new year :D

No comments:

Post a Comment